Zalman VF-1000 put to the test: the Arctic cooling killer for graphics cards
- Dimensions: 160 (L) x 100 (W) x 30 (H) mm
- Dimensions fan: 80 x 80 x 15 mm
- Weight (without fan): approx. 380 g
- Full copper design
- Quadruple heat pipe with 6 mm diameter
- Eight aluminum RAM coolers
- Speed: 1400 ~ 2500 rpm
- Volume: 18 ~ 28 dB (A)
- Connection: 3-pin with speed readout
- For ATI and Nvidia: 4-point screw connection
- Sales and prices
- Manufacturer homepage
- ATI Radeon 9 *** series (except 9550/9600)
- ATI X1300 series
- ATI X1650 series
- ATI X1800 series
- ATI X1900 series
- ATI X1950 series
- HD2400 and HD2600 series
- NVIDIA Geforce4 MX series
- NVIDIA Geforce4 TI 4 series
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5600 (FX 5700)
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5700 (Ultra) series
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5800 series
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5900 series
- NVIDIA Geforce FX 5950 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 6600 series (except 6600 AGP series)
- NVIDIA Geforce 6800 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 7300 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 7600 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series (except 7800 GS)
- NVIDIA Geforce 7900 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 7950 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 8500 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 8600 series
- NVIDIA Geforce 8800 series
A good 40 euros are currently being charged by retailers for the Zalman VF-1000 and thus around twiceas much as for the Accelero S1 . Accordingly, you can of course expect something special and take a critical look at the scope of delivery. With the VF-1000 you get all the essential components included. In addition to the graphics card cooler, these are of course the assembly utensils, but also eight small passive storage cooling blocks and the now well-known Fan-Mate 2 fan control including a double-sided adhesive pad for attaching it and a small tube of silicon-based thermal paste are also included.
Anyone who is also preparing to operate the VF-1000 with a GeForce 8800 (GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra) can use the GPU cooler with a special Supplement the RAM cooler add-on kit, the ZM-RHS88. The filigree aluminum component is an ideal addition to the cards mentioned, but with a good 20 euros it also requires a substantial surcharge.
The VF-1000 itself is one of the higher quality handicrafts. The all-copper sprout combines the cylindrical part of the heat absorption, on which the four heat pipes are soldered and the mounting device for the various graphics cards are attached, with an extremely generous copper lamellar body, the stamped precious metal lamellae are untreated but robust. There is also an 80 mm fan with transparent rotor blades and a blue one in the centerLED lighting. The fan operates in the Zalman-typical speed spectrum of around 1400 to 2500 rpm and is supplied with power via a 3-pin connector.
Attaching the cooler is quite unproblematic. Much more time-consuming and, for the sake of completeness, the loss of the manufacturer's warranty may be the dismantling of the original cooler. However, most standard coolers nowadays are screwed on and glued fixings are only rarely used, so this hurdle should be overcome quickly.
Once you have removed all original parts and carefully cleaned the heat-transferring surface, you should you first apply the passive storage cooler, which is only glued on due to its pad equipment. In the case of the VF-1000, the mounting bolts must match the holes on the graphics board with thefour screw bolts are provided, then you can put the cooler on the front of the GPU wetted with thermal paste. Finally, thread the small insulating rings on the back and lock the cooler with the help of the four spring-loaded thumbscrews.
The VF-1000 sits securely on the graphics card and, depending on the size of the graphics card, covers a large part of the circuit board layout. Due to the height of the cooler of 30 mm, an additional PCI slot is used. Compared to the Accelero S1, however, the Zalman offspring can be described as quite compact.
On the next page: Test system