New Gigabyte mainboard with i850E and ICH4
The new chipset from Intel, the i845E/G, also includes support for the ICH4 southbridge, which is also new. The i850E, Intel's current top chipset, is only supplied by the processor giant with the old southbridge, the ICH2.
Gigabyte has now announced a mainboard that uses the i850E chipset in combination with the ICH4 southbridge . One of the advantages of the ICH4 southbridge is the USB 2.0 support. Further points on the feature list of the board, which incidentally bears the name GA-8IHXP, are:
- 533MHz/400 MHz Front Side Bus
- Promise PDC20276 ATA133 Raid- Controller
- Creative CT5880 sound chip
- Realtek LAN chip
- NEC 720100 USB 2.0 controller
- Support for PC1066 RDRAM (max . 2 GB/4 banks)
A data sheet is available on the Gigabyte homepage, a PDF file is also available.