Menu
IBM's hard disk sector finally handed over to Hitachi

IBM's hard disk sector finally handed over to Hitachi

As already reported in April 2002, IBM sold its entire hard disk sector to Hitachi. This will appear under the new name Hitachi Global Storage Technology and consists of employees from both companies.

How on the IBM homepage can be read, Hitachi has paid nearly 2.05 billion US dollars for 70% of the IBM hard drive division. The remaining 30% will be paid in the following three years. Thus, IBM withdraws completely from the HDD area.

The Hitachi company also takes over the complete support as can be read on the IBM site:

The IBM Warranty and Returns site will no longer be available as of 5 pm PST (8 pm EST) on 31-December 2002. On 1-January, 2003, IBM will transfer all support for Hard Disk Drives to Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Inc. On January 6th, 2003, customers can continue RMA service via the Hitachi End User RMA site.

The new RMA and support site can be found here . When and whether new hard disks can be expected is not yet clear.