Menu
IBM gets out of hard disk business

IBM gets out of hard disk business

The US American Wall Street Journal (WSJ) has reported that IBM has already sold 70 percent of its hard disk drive division to Hitachi, and the remaining 30 percent are also to be sold to Hitachi in the near future. Just recently, IBM had to issue a profit warning.

In the course of restructuring measures, IBM wants to focus more on its core businesses as a result concentrate and therefore separates from its hard drive division. According to the WSJ, the purchase price for the 70 percent was around one billion US dollars. The hard disks already produced are to be sold under the IBM label, after which the disks are to come onto the market under the Hitachi label. It remains to be seen whether something will change in the reliability of the hard drives. IBM had come under pressure due to quite high failure rates with the hard drives of the DTLA series and problems with the IC series as well. Only recently, IBM had introduced a maximum operating time for the disks, which was converted to a good eight hours of operation per day and thus stirred up resentment among buyers.

Comments