GeForce4 awards and Apple's first GF4 MX
The colleagues from Reactor Critical want to know the retail prices recommended by Nvidia for the upcoming GeForce4 graphics cards. The prices are well below the first estimates and should certainly be more of a purchase incentive for some customers than before.
- GeForce4 Ti 4600: NV25 with 325MHz, 128 MB DDR SDRAM with 350MHz (700MHz DDR) - $ 399
- GeForce4 Ti 4400: NV25 with 275MHz, 64 MB DDR SDRAM with 350MHz (700MHz DDR) - $ 399
- GeForce4 MX 460: NV17 with 300MHz, 64 MB DDR SDRAM with 275MHz (550MHz DDR) - $ 199
- GeForce4 MX 440: NV17 with 270MHz, 64 MB DDR SDRAM with 200MHz (400MHz DDR) - $ 149
- GeForce4 MX 420: NV17 with 250MHz, 64 MB SDRAM with 166MHz - $ 69 to $ 99
The identical price for the top models is surprising at first, but Nvidia will not bring these two cards onto the market at the same time. First the GeForce4 Ti 4400 will appear for $ 399, which will then drop in price a short time later, after which the GeForce4 Ti 4600 will take its place. How quickly Nvidia will take the GeForce3 cards that have not been on the market for long will only become apparent after the introduction of the GeForce4.
In addition, Apple is already offering their Macs with GeForce4 MX, although Nvidia has not even officially presented the graphics chip. At Apple you should be able to have the card installed in every newly ordered PowerMac from now on. Unfortunately, Apple does not provide any more precise data on the GeForce4 MX. It is only known that it should have 64MB DDR-RAM and TwinView. Otherwise, they are silent about the graphics performance, Apple only certifies that the GeForce4 MX has a pixel fill rate of over a billion pixels per second. A less meaningful diagram can also be found, but it does not allow any reliable comparisons.