Menu
Copy DVD via software will soon be banned

Copy DVD via software will soon be banned

Now that the music industry is increasingly aggressive against the copying and distribution of music titles, the film industry is also speaking out. The VdF is now calling for bans on copying DVDs with software tools that bypass DVD copy protection.

As it became known, the German film distributor is now calling for bans to be included in a new copyright directive that includes copying DVDs with software tools that circumvent DVD copy protection. According to Johannes Klingsporn, Managing Director of the Association of Film Distributors (VdF), around one million films are currently downloaded from the Internet every day. However, it is not yet possible to say exactly how high the resulting damage is, Johannes Klingsporn continues. At the moment the downloading of entire films is not that widespread, at the moment it is only practiced by 'freaks'. However, it is feared that the spread of films via the Internet will continue to increase due to the ever increasing expansion of broad-based high-speed Internet access. According to Klingsporn, the financing of a top film nowadays only consists of 30 percent of the income from the cinema show. The remaining, much larger share of 70 percent is divided into video, pay TV and free TV marketing. If everyone downloads their film for free from the Internet, the system will probably collapse soon, continues Johannes Klingsporn.