Asus V8460 Ultra Deluxe in the test: The video talent with shutter glasses
- 1 Introduction
- 2 The card
- 3 Scope of delivery
- 4 drivers and Software
- 5 Technology
- 6 Test system
- 7 Synthetic benchmarks
- 9 Game benchmarks
- 13 Conclusion
Even if the technical detail s the GeForce4 series has meanwhile been more than chewed through, including in our little preview , we want to repeat some of the key data for newcomers or those who are easily forgetful.
Features of the GeForce4 Ti series
- nFiniteFX Engine II - Programmable pixel and vertex shaders
- Accuview Anti-Aliasing - Multisampling Anti-Aliasing Hardware
- Lightspeed Memory Architecture II - Bandwidth-saving measures
- nView Display Technology - Independent control of multiple displays
- Shadow buffer and real-time shadows in hardware
- Dot3 and environment mapped bump mapping in hardware
- DirectX and S3TC texture compression
- High Performance 2D Rendering Engine
- High Quality HDTV/DVD playback
- High Definition Video Processor
- DirectX 8.1 Support
- OpenGL 1.3 Support
Here is a tabular overview with the three tested cards
Purely from the technical data, one could expect a fairly clear gradation, as the Radeon8500LE lies pretty much in the middle between the GeForce3, which is now more than a year old, and the current Asus v8460ultra DeLuxe. Because of the very different procedures that are undertaken, for example, to conserve bandwidth or are carried out with the FSAA and AF, this is not always the case.
For example, the GeForce3/4 uses multisampling for anti-aliasing, which saves a lot of fill rate compared to conventional supersampling, but has the property of not smoothing textures, but only polygon edges. On the other hand, the ATi implementation of anisotropic filtering does not work with trilinear filter and also creates unsightly artifacts at certain angles.
To bothTo roughly match, we decided for 2xFSAA (the quality version for the Radeon8500) and 4xAF for the high-quality settings, because in most situations the MipMap transitions are shifted far enough backwards so that they are no longer too annoying to attract attention. But more on that in the individual quality comparisons.
On the next page: Test system